Perfect burger buns just crawled their way into my life!
I love homemade burgers. And I think that the best kind of burgers are made from scratch. Also the buns. And now I have the most delicious recipe to share with you! These honey and buttermilk buns are perfect for both brunch table and for burgers. They’re golden, soft and topped with sesame seeds – is there anything more you could ask! I’m never buying readymade burger buns anymore!
Perfect buttermilk honey buns
- ¾ dl water
- 3 tbsp honey
- 11 g (1 sachet) dry yeast
- 50 g butter
- 0.75 dl sesame seeds (or other seeds of your choice)
- 5 dl all-purpose flour (+ for flouring the surface)
- 2,5 dl (250 ml) buttermilk
- olive oil
- 1 egg yolk
- Pour the warm water into a small bowl and mix in the honey and dry yeast. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Mix the flour and a few pinches of salt in a large mixing bowl, and press a hole in the middle. Pour the yeast mixture, buttermilk and melted butter in the middle. Stir into a smooth dough with a wooden fork. Add about 2-3 tbsp of seeds and mix until smooth.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 8–10 minutes until the dough is silky soft and malleable. Avoid adding more flour so the dough doesn’t end up heavy. Roll into a ball in your hands.
- Drizzle some oil on the bottom of a clean bowl and place the dough into the bowl. Cover with a clean tea towel or clingfilm and leave to rise in a warm place for 1.5 hours until doubled in size.
- Once risen, turn the dough onto the surface and knead for a few minutes. Divide into small pieces. Roll the pieces into small balls and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. In a glass, beat the egg yolk until smooth and add a little drop of water. Brush the rolls with the egg yolk and water mixture. Sprinkle some sesame seeds over. Place in the oven for 25–35 minutes until golden brown and baked inside. Enjoy!