When I wrote my book From Oven to Table I wanted to make a a crunchy baklava recipe. When buying the ingredients I realised how expensive it would be to buy all those pistachios, hazelnuts or walnuts to fill this baklava. My philosophy for my cookbooks has always been that even though the food should be tasty, it shouldn’t be too expensive to make. So I needed to come up with something else than traditional filling made with crushed nuts.
Then I realised, what could be better than Nutella? We all love it, right? So I made this yummy Nutella baklava recipe for my cookbook and now I wanted to share it with you too!
Crunchy Nutella Baklava
- 150 g butter
- 80–100 g hazelnuts
- 1 packet (about 12 sheets) filo pastry
- 1 jar (about 350 g) Nutella
- 1 dl + 4 tbsp runny honey
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C.
- Melt the butter. Crush the hazelnuts with a knife or pestle and mortar.
- Line a deep baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the sheets of filo pastry onto the baking sheet and trim the edges, so they extend from edge to edge. Remove all the other layers from the baking sheet apart from the first one.
- Brush the first layer with melted butter. Add the next three layers one at a time, brushing each layer with melted butter. Add the fourth layer, and smooth on a thin layer of half of the hazelnut chocolate spread. Sprinkle some of the crushed hazelnuts and 2 tbsp of honey on top.
- Continue by adding the next four layers one at a time, brushing each layer with melted butter. Top with the rest of the hazelnut chocolate spread, crushed hazelnuts and 2 tbsp honey. Add the rest of the four layers, brushing each layer with melted butter.
- With a sharp knife, cut the baklava diagonally into slices of the desired shape and size. Sprinkle on the rest of the crushed nuts.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes until golden brown and crispy on the surface. Remove from the oven and drizzle on the remaining 1 dl of honey. Set aside for a while. Enjoy!
Tip! If coating the pastry with Nutella proves challenging, carefully microwave the Nutella to soften it a little.