My grandmother used to bake zebra cakes really often when I was a little girl. It’s also one of my father’s favourite cakes, so I’m sure this tradition will go on in this family. (In Finnish we call it tiger cake.) I bake a lot of moist bundt cakes but this time I wanted to bake this beauty in a loaf pan, and I think I will do it like this the next time too! The cake is delicious, has a nice texture but still stays perfectly moist. It’s a humble looking and simple cake which reveals its gorgeous marble like texture after cutting the first piece.Print
Moist Zebra Loaf Cake
- Prep Time: 20 min.
- Cook Time: 75 min.
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 min.
- Yield: 1 cake 1x
- 350 g butter melted
- 7 dl (about 3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 dl (about 2.5 cups) granulated sugar
- 1.25 dl (about 0.5 cups) cacao powder
- 6.5 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 dl milk
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a medium size bowl. Set aside to wait.
- In a separate medium size bowl, mix 1.25 dl of the sugar, all cocoa powder and the water until the mixture is smooth. Set aside.
- Whisk melted butter, rest of the granulated sugar and vanilla sugar until the mixture is blended. Add one egg at a time, mixing well after each addition. After adding the eggs, the mixture should be light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture and the milk in 3 turns. Always mix until blended.
- Add about 4.75 dl of the batter to the cocoa powder mixture and stir until blended.
- Prepare a loaf pan (or a bundt cake pan). Pour a thin layer of the light vanilla mixture on the bottom of the pan. Add another thin, uneven layer of the cocoa mixture on top. (The cocoa layer doesn’t have to cover the vanilla layer.) Repeat until the pan is almost filled.
- Bake the zebra loaf cake for about 60-75 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. (The right baking time may vary a lot depending on your oven). Start checking your cake after 50 minutes. If the cake starts to get too dark brown before it’s cooked inside, cover the cake with aluminun foil. Let the cake cool before serving.