Summer galettes are the best, because you can vary the filling with all the beautiful seasonal fruits and berries! Like strawberries, apricots and blackberries, for instance. This time I couldn’t resist the beautiful purple plums I saw in the markets. As a result this deliciously tart plum & almond galette was born. And oh how good it was with some cold vanilla ice cream!Print
Delicious and Tart Plum & Almond Galette
- Prep Time: 20 min.
- Cook Time: 45 min.
- Total Time: 1 h 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 galette, about 8 servings 1x
- 180 g (about 3 dl) all-purpose flour
- 5 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp flaky salt
- 150 g cold salted butter
- 2–4 tbsp cold water
Filling / topping:
- 7–8 plums (or any other fruits or berries of your choice!)
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp flaked almonds
- 1 egg
- Make the pie crust. Mix together flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. With the help of a cheese slicer, slice the butter thinly (if you don’t have a cheese slicer, just cut it with a knife). Add the sliced butter to the flour mixture. Use your fingers to crumble in the butter until dough is crumbly but there are still some small visible pieces of butter.
- Add 1 tbsp of cold water at a time, and mix gently with a fork until dough just comes together. Don’t knead the dough. Form the dough into a ball and place it on a piece of plastic wrap. Flatten into a disc, wrap in the plastic wrap and place in fridge for at least one hour.
- Let the dough rest in the room temperature for about 5 minutes. Roll out the dough on a floured baking paper into a large circle about 5 mm thick. Roll and turn the dough so it doesn’t stick to the paper.
- Cut the plums in halves and remove the stones. Slice the plums into 1-2mm thin slices. Arrange the plums into a beautiful pattern, starting from the edges. Leave 3-4 cm border around the edges. Sprinkle 2 tbsp of the sugar and the lemon zest on top of the plum slices.
- Fold the dough edges over the fruits and press gently. Transfer the galette to freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Whisk an egg in a glass. Brush the galette edges with the egg, then sprinkle flaked almonds and the rest of the sugar (1 tbsp) on top of the edges.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown, 40-45 minutes. Let cool. Serve with cold vanilla ice cream or vanilla sauce!