Rhubarb, strawberries and basil. Some of my favourite summer flavours. So now when the rhubarb season is finally here, I wanted to make a pie with all these delicious seasonal ingredients. Rhubarb and strawberries are the classic combination and the basil gives a nice little finish for the flavour palette!
This pie crust is one of my favourites and I use it almost every time I bake pies. The original recipe is from the pie master Linda Lomelino, who’s one of the most talented pie makers in this world. It’s crunchy and flaky but not too sweet, which is perfect for sweet fillings like summery berries!
I know I will bake this so so many times this summer!Print
Basil Strawberry & Rhubarb Pie
- Prep Time: 40 min.
- Cook Time: 40 min.
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 1 pie 1x
- 300 g all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp flaky sea salt
- 250 g cold salted butter, cubed
- about 6–8 tbsp ice water
- about 400 g rhubarb (peeled and cubed)
- about 1 dl (0.5 cup) sugar + 2 tbsp
- 200 g strawberries trimmed and halved (I prefer fresh but you can also use frozen ones)
- a bunch of fresh basil chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the cubed butter and, using your fingers, cut in the butter until dough is crumbly but there are still visible pieces of butter.
- Drizzle with water, 1 tbsp at a time, and mix gently with a fork until dough just comes together. Pat the dough together and flatten into a thick disc. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least an hour but preferably overnight.
- Take the dough to the room temperature 5-10 minutes before rolling. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Make the filling. Place the cubed rhubarb and 1 dl of sugar in a bowl and set aside for at least 20 minutes. (This removes some extra moistness from the rhubarb and makes it sweeter.)
- Roll out about half of the dough into a large circle on a lightly floured surface. Make sure to roll and turn the dough so it doesn’t stick to the surface. Transfer to about 20cm pie pan. Trim excess dough, leaving a 2 cm overhang. Save the extra dough pieces for the top.
- Fill the pie. Spoon the rhubarb cubes onto the crust. Don’t pour all the liquid from the bowl, just 2 tbsp of the sugary rhubarb “water”! (You can use the extra liquid to make rhubarb syrup!)
- Add also the strawberries and fresh basil. Sprinkle 2 tbsp of sugar on top.
- Roll out the rest of the dough and cut into about 18 long strips. Place the strips in a lattice pattern (see the pictures). Trim the edges.
- Brush the pie with the egg wash and sprinkle some sugar on top. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until cooked and beautiful golden brown! Enjoy with vanilla custard or ice cream!