No doubt, one of the best spring produce is asparagus. It’s such an amazing ingredient with a delicate and sophisticated flavour. I’ve eaten it in soo many ways during my life, but still I had never made soup with it. But in the middle of a cold spring day at the cottage, I had a huge craving for creamy soup and I had a lot of asparagus in my kitchen. So here it is – my creamy asparagus soup! It’s really simple and quick to make but it tastes incredibly good!Print
Green & Creamy Asparagus Soup
- Prep Time: 10 min.
- Cook Time: about 10 min.
- Total Time: 20 min.
- Yield: 3 servings, 6 as a starter 1x
- 1 kg (about 2 bunches) green asparagus
- 50 g butter
- 1–2 cloves of garlic
- 4.75 dl chicken stock (about 2 cups)
- 1 dl (about 0.5 cup) double cream
- (salt if needed)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- fresh thyme for garnish
- Snap off and discard the woody ends of the asparagus. Cut into 1-2 cm pieces and set aside to wait.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan and crush the garlic in. Cook in a medium heat for 2-3 minutes and then add sliced asparagus. Fry for 2-3 minutes and add the chicken stock. Leave to boil until the asparagus is tender and cooked but still nice and green (don’t let it turn too yellowy!).
- Take the sauce pan off the heat and add double cream. Use hand blender to blend it all into creamy soup. Add the lemon juice and mix. Season with salt if needed – but taste first, the saltiness of the chicken stock might be enough already.
- Enjoy the soup with fresh thyme!