A very traditional Finnish summer cake is a basic short cake filled with strawberries and whipped cream. It’s a good cake as it is, but maybe a little boring for my taste. But because I love summery cakes and fresh strawberries, I decided to make my own version. I added some zucchini and buttermilk to bring moistness and nice texture to the cake + some lemon juice and zest to add more flavour. And I must say that this turned out the most delicious summer strawberry cake I’ve ever made! Perfect for summer parties!Print
Zucchini layer cake with strawberries and cream
- 6 dl finely grated courgette
- 1.5 dl buttermilk
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp lemon peel
- 350 g butter
- 7.5 dl sugar
- 3 eggs
- 12 dl all-purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 400 g cream cheese
- 2 dl icing sugar
- 5 dl double cream
- 2 dl sugar
- 300–400 g fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C. Line a cake tin (ø24cm) with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the grated courgette, buttermilk, lemon juice and peel.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the butter and sugar until fluffy. Continue whisking and add the eggs one at a time.
- In a third bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and dash of salt.
- In turns, add the flour mix and courgette-buttermilk mix to the butter-sugar mix, whisking continuously.
- Pour the dough into the cake tin. (You can also use separate tins to cut down the baking time). Bake in the oven for about 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the cake is done but still a bit moist. Make sure not to overbake. Cut the cake in three layers and let cool in room temperature.
- For the filling, combine cream cheese and icing sugar together until the mixture is smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the cream and sugar until they form light whipped cream.
- Wash and cut the strawberries in half.
- Fill the cake. Place the bottom layer on the serving plate. Spread third of the cream cheese mixture and third of the whipped cream on the cake. Add third of the strawberries. Top with second layer of cake and repeat. After icing the third layer, finish the cake with strawberries and eatable flowers.